Five Months After
Patrick is called to the witness stand, he explains everything he has been investigating about the case for the past five months. A picture of Matt's dead body, and Josie unconscious in the locker room. The audience gasped at the gruesome site. Patrick explains the fingerprints on all the guns have were a replication of the criminal except for one handgun that had a partial print that didn't match any of the suspects.
Curtis Uppergate, a forensic psychiatrist who had specialized in aggressive teenagers with mental illnesses had been called to the stand. He confirmed that Peter was not suffering from any mental illness at the time he started shooting at Sterling High School.
When Peter got back to the jail cell, a detention officer handed him a letter that read,

Dear Peter,
You don't know me by name, but I was number 9. That's how i left the school, with a big magic marker label on my forehead. You tried to kill me. I am not at your trial, so don't try to find me in the crowd. I couldn't stand being in that town anymore, so my parents moved a month ago. I start school in a week here in Minnesota, and already people have heard about me. They only know me as a victim from Sterling High. I don't have interests, I don't have a personality, I don't even have a history, except the one you gave me.
I had a 4.0 average but I don't care very much about grades anymore. What's the point. I used to have all these dreams, but now I don't know if I"ll go to college since I still can't sleep through the night. I can't deal with people who sneak up behind me either, or doors that slam really loud, or fireworks. I've been in therapy long enough to tell you one thing: I'm never going to set foot in Sterling again.
You shot me in the back. The doctors said I was lucky-that if I'd sneezed or turned to look at you I would be in a wheelchair now. Instead, I just have to deal with people who stare when I forget and put on a tank top- anyone can see the scars from the bullet and the chest tubes and the stitches. I don't care- they used to stare at the zits on my face; now they just have another place to focus their attention. I've thought about you a lot. I think you should go to jail. It's fair, and this wasn't, and there's a kind of balance in that.
I was in your French class, did you know that? I sat in the row by the window, second from the back. You always seemed sort of mysterious, and I liked your smile.
I would have liked to be your friend.
Sincerely,
Angela Phlug

Peter folded the letter and slipped it inside his pillowcase. Ten minutes later, he took it out again. He read it all night long, over and over again.
Lacy is nervous getting dressed in the morning because this is the day she has to defend her son. She is called to the stand and states her general information. Jordan tries to hack into the life at the Houghton residence and learns the relationship between Lacy and Peter wasn't always perfect. During Lacy's summary, a man interrupts by shouting, "Your son's a monster"(420). The man is removed from the courtroom, and Jordan continues with questioning. Once Lacy was finished, she turned to Peter and mouthed silently, "I'm so sorry"(420).
Jordan now realizes that he cannot do much for Peter at this point because the jury would always feel sorrier for the victims.
Peter is called to the stand to confirm his actions and tell the jury the reasoning for the shooting. He states, "They started it"(424). The jury learns that Peter never intended to kill all of the people. Peter becomes proud because he told the courtroom what he always wanted to say.
Jordan visits the Cormier's house. He informs Josie that she will have to appear in court and is forced to testify. Josie is reluctant but has no other options.
Josie states her general information and summarizes the day of the shooting. She talks about what happened until they got in the locker room. Jordan then asks, "what happened next?"(437).

No comments:

Post a Comment